RISD welcomes students from all over the world to participate in Summer Studies, the Summer Institute for Graphic Design Studies, and the Textiles Summer Institute.
All participants must have a high school diploma or the equivalent, and be 18 years old or older. Knowledge of the English language is essential and is required of all students. Please note, some additional requirements do apply if you are an international student:
- If your primary language is not English, you will need to demonstrate a working knowledge of the English language.
- If you do not hold US citizenship or US permanent residency, you must already have a valid F-1 student visa or obtain an appropriate visa.*
*SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) is currently processing RISD’s authorization for the F-1 visa program. Since our application is pending, the most appropriate visa would be the B-1/B-2 visa for recreational study. If a student already holds a current and valid F-1 student visa from another institution, they should remain on their F-1 student visa. If you have any questions regarding visas, please contact OISS (Office of International Student Services) directly at email@example.com.
All applicants who speak English as a second language, including US citizens, must submit results from either TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Since proficiency in English is a prerequisite for acceptance, applicants must attain an acceptable score on either test; RISD requires a minimum result of 93 on the TOEFL or 6.5 on IELTS. Students who are not able to obtain a test score at the time of submitting an online application, or who have previously tested and are not able to access their test score, must provide a letter confirming their proficiency in English (spoken/written language and comprehension) from their academic advisor, English teacher or supervisor. Applications will not be processed if documentation of proficiency is not submitted.
The following materials must be submitted by the April 13, 2018 deadline:
- Completed Summer Programs Online Registration
- Copy of your passport
- Payment in full (tuition and fees, housing and dining fee)
NOTE: If you already have an F-1 visa and Form I-20 and are currently studying in the US, you must still provide copies of your immigration documents (passport, F-1 visa, and Form I-20).
How to Register
If you are not a US citizen or US permanent resident you must complete the online registration with necessary attachments, proof of English proficiency (if applicable), and payment in full by April 13, 2018.
Given the lengthy processing time within governmental agencies responsible for visas, we strongly encourage you to submit your online registration and required fees as early as possible, before the deadline. Please contact your local US Consulate or Embassy with any questions regarding visas. You may also visit the SEVP website.
The 2018 registration deadline for non-US citizens or non-US permanent residents is April 13, 2018.
International Students must pay 100% of all Tuition, Fees and Housing + Dining (if applicable) costs within 5 business days of a confirmed registration. Once the online registration is complete and reviewed, students will receive notification via email to make their full payment through RISD’s Tuition Management System–students will have the option to pay using a credit card, check (from a domestic bank account), or a wire transfer.
Looking for more info before you register? Sign up to join mailing list.
Confirmation of Registration
Once registered and a deposit has been paid, each student will receive a series of emails to confirm and update their registration status. The following is a list of the emails students will receive:
1. Confirmation Letter (sent to students shortly after registering and payment has been processed). This letter will confirm the course(s) in which you are enrolled and include instructions on how to access and complete required forms that must be received by RISD prior to your arrival on campus. These forms and instructions are accessible on the student registration portal and include:
- Health Services Portal (will not be available to complete until mid-April as you need to use your RISD credentials to login). However, the online form requires extensive student health information, a physician’s authorization and signature. Please review this information immediately and plan accordingly in order to complete on time.
- Health Insurance Verification
- Campus ID Card Upload
- Summer Programs Student Handbook
2. Course Schedule (sent to students approximately one week before the start of classes, provided the registration is paid in full). Copies of course schedules also may be picked up at the Check-in event or at the Continuing Education office on the first day of class.
3. Directions and Arrival Information (sent to students near the start of classes)
- Directions to Campus
- Arrival Instructions
- Campus Map
Housing and Dining:
If you are a residential student, you will receive an email from the Residence Life Office with a link and instructions to confirm your housing and dining. This link will also be available through the student online registration portal. Once you have received the email, please contact the Residence Life Office with any questions about housing and dining.
If the course for which you register is full or unavailable, you may add your name to a waitlist at the time of online registration and you will be contacted by email and/or phone is a space becomes available.
For More Information:
If you still have questions regarding RISD Summer Programs, or the online registration process, please call 401 454-6200.