You’ve registered! We’re thrilled to have you join us this summer. Here you’ll find a list of the required documentation and information you’ll need before you arrive. Note that as the summer nears, you’ll receive an email from RISD Continuing Education with further instructions on how to complete the required forms.
Deadline for non-US citizens and non-US permanent residents. This includes the Summer Programs online registration (student visa information required) and payment in full (tuition, housing and dining).
After this date, all tuitions and fees must be paid in full upon registration.
First day of Summer Programs
No classes held
Last day of Summer Programs
Final Open Studios + Fashion Show, 4–6pm
Check-out (by 12 pm)
Once you’ve registered and a deposit has been paid, a series of required forms must be completed and submitted via the student applicant dashboard by May 31, 2019. You will not be able to attend classes until all required forms have been signed and submitted.
Required forms include:
- Student Handbook: The Student Handbook contains detailed information about arrival and departure; housing, dining and safety; academic and disciplinary policies and procedures. The handbook must be read carefully, and in its entirety, prior to the start of classes.
- Health Insurance: All students are required to carry adequate medical insurance to help cover the extra expenses of medical treatment that is not covered by RISD’s Health Services. All medical insurance policies must be from a U.S. domestic insurance company. If needed, you may purchase the Summer Studies Student Health Insurance Plan, a short-term (6-week) medical insurance policy for $153 through the University Health Plans Insurance Program. The Plan includes a local and national network of preferred providers, and is designed as an affordable option. Should you have questions please contact Marcia O’Neill at University Health Plans at 800-437-6448, ext.116.
Non-RISD degree students must also submit:
- Health Services Form (Residential students only): The Health Services Form requires student health information, a physician’s authorization and signature, all housed within the Health Services portal which will become available in mid-April, after you’ve received your RISD credentials. Please review this information immediately and plan accordingly in order to complete on time.
- Student Emergency Medical Information + Health Insurance Verification
- Campus ID Card information
Your course schedule will be emailed approximately one week before the start of classes, provided your registration is paid in full and required forms are submitted. Copies of course schedules also may be picked up at Check-in or at the Continuing Education office on the first day of class.
In June you will receive an email from the Residence Life Office with your housing assignment. Please contact the Residence Life Office at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Arrival + Departure
Access to RISD is easy to arrange by car, bus, air or train. The Amtrak train station is within walking distance, though taxi service is recommended for students with heavy luggage. T.F. Green Airport is 12 miles south of Providence in Warwick, providing direct flights to most major cities. T.F. Green airport vans are available to downtown Providence and the RISD campus for a nominal fee.
International students traveling to RISD by plane are advised to also check flights into Boston’s Logan International Airport for more direct flights and potentially lower airfares. Logan International Airport is located a one-hour bus ride from downtown Providence. Frequent buses run directly from Logan International Airport to downtown Providence.
Check-in is Saturday, June 22 from 9 am–2:30 pm. At Check-in, you’ll receive your student ID and course schedule. Residential services (linens, laundry, etc.) may also be arranged. If you are a residential student and miss the initial Check-in event hours, please notify the Residence Life Office at email@example.com or 401 454-6650 of your plans.
Check-In (Late-starting classes)
Residential students in courses beginning June 27 or later are encouraged to arrive at least 24 hours before the course begins.
If you did not attend the Check-in event, you may visit the Continuing Education Summer Programs Office on the morning of your first class to check in and obtain your course schedule and ID card. The Summer Programs Office will be open at 8 am on the first day of each course.
If living in RISD residential facilities, you must be completely checked out before noon on the Saturday following your last day of class. All students must be completely checked out before noon on Saturday, August 3.
Many studio courses will end with the opportunity for you to show your work and see the work of other courses during “Open Studios”. Open Studios will be held on the last day of class from 4–6 pm in the primary classroom of each course. On the last day of the program, Friday, August 2, there will be Open Studios and also a Fashion Show. All students who can arrange travel and time on campus accordingly are invited to participate.